7.06.2011

Inspiration to Creation 1: The Projects

So finally happy it's lunch time, as I am starving!  Goodness, this girl needs to eat...which I will be doing as soon as I get this post finished ;-)

So today's part of the Inspiration to Creation series is 'The Projects' - better known around LCW as homemade.  There are two projects in particular that I wanted to do for you today.  The first one being the fabric chandeliers.  Remember, the inspiration...
Inspiration to Creation Projects
And a close up for you...
Inspiration to Creation Projects
I love them, don't you?

Alrighty - here is what you need to recreate them:
IC-2

  1. Embroidery Hoops - always an odd number
  2. White Spray Paint - optional
  3. Variety of different fabrics in sheer and lightweight materials
  4. Glue gun
  5. Thread/String
  6. Scissors
  7. Needle and Thread - optional
First:  Take apart your embroidery hoops - we are only going to be using the inner portion of the hoops for this project.  Once you have all your inner hoops, if you want to spray paint them like the hoops in the inspiration picture then now is the time to do so.  ***However, so that I can reuse my hoops again I am not going to spray paint mine.  I try and recycle as much as I can, and save some money at the same time.

Second:  When the paint is dry, working with one hoop at a time, take a piece of fabric and wrap it around one hoop.  Mark the spot on the fabric where it should be cut, then cut the fabric to size.  Do this for all the remaining hoops and fabric. 

Third:  Once all hoops and fabrics are measured, run the glue gun around a portion of the inside of the hoop.  Working quickly so the glue doesn't dry, place the end of the fabric onto the glue from the outside of the hoop!  Remember - you want the outer portion of the hoop covered, so you MUST start from the outer side of the hoop and fold the fabric over to the glue on the inside.  Continue this process until all the fabric is glued to the inside of the hoop.
IC-3
Fourth:  When the glue is dry you are ready to add the string to hang the hoop from.

Fifth:  If you want you can stitch up the ends on the hoop so the fabric is attached together and doesn't hang open you can do so.  Just keep in mind you don't want to pull the thread too hard as you stitch otherwise it will pull the fabric and it will hang funny.  This is optional...you could always take a short cut and add a drop of glue or even a glue dot (I heart glue dots and this was my quick and easy way) in a couple spots to keep the fabric together.  But really, it's your choice loves :-)

And here is your finished product...minus the thread/string to hang...oopsies forgot about that when I took the picture...
IC-4
So sorry about my hand in the picture - there was just no place to hang it from...so I thought I would just hold it ;-)  Hard to hold something and take a picture at the same time!  However, it really does look cute...and I can't wait to see it and more over the table!

The second project is recreating the gold glasses...
Inspiration to Creation Projects
You can always look for glasses with gold detail(s) at garage sales and antique stores to use for your event.  However a super quick, easy and cost effective option is always to add a gold ribbon around plain clear glasses...
IC-1
Gotta admit - NOT my fave...but it works and will pull in a nice little pop of gold onto the table.  I was thinking of the option of painting them - which I did...but it was time consuming after a primer, two coats of paint and a sealer, and the end result looked like gold painted glasses.  Eeks - not the look I was going for.  I actually like the ribbon better, if you can believe that.  I have one other option that I will try tonight, and if I like I will share with you tomorrow! 

Tomorrow I am showing you two more projects to make in order to recreate this table...and then Friday I will be putting it all together for you!  I'm off to eat now...see you tomorrow with more goodness ;-)

~ Ciao

...images 1 and 6 photography brandon kidd, image 2 photography by our labor of love via honey and poppies, and all other photography by luna and chloe weddings

10 comments:

  1. Seriously??? Great ideas, great post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those chandeliers! I made gold leafed vases before that turned out quite lovely for Christmas gifts last year, maybe that will work out better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what to do with my lace table runner and lines I've been collecting for my wedding!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those chandeliers-how clever! And the glasses with the touch of gold are so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving those chandeliers! I'll be making those too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE both ideas! That table setting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly amazing.... adding this to my files to try out one day!!

    ReplyDelete